Sunday, March 22, 2009

So I was thinking...

About starting my own buisness having to do with sewing/making baby things. For example : sewing baby clothes, blessing dresses/suits, sleepers, bibs, fleece jackets, hats and booties, shirst etc. and making little bracelts for little girls, making little "lovie" animal blankets, boppys, bows etc.). Anyway, I just wanted to get a little bit of feedback from you to see what you think. Do you think that it would work? Any tips you can give me on how to make it good? Or even just what you think of the idea would be great. We need the extra income but I don't want to be working just a regular job. I want to be doing something that I enjoy (and already do) and make money from it! You know what I mean? Anyway, let me know what you think...thanks in advance :)

7 comments:

Mandy said...

that's a great idea! and little Kyrah would be a perfect model

Chad and Becca said...

I think it is a great idea! I make bows and sell them. Right now I have a blog but I found this fabulous website that a friends uses. it is www.webs.com You can build a really great looking website for free and even included paypal(you do have to pay for that) and build a store with carts and check outs and everything. I am working on mine right now, it is not done but if you want to get an idea you can check it out
www.bistybows.webs.com
I think you would do really well selling homemade items. Oh and I have a friend that has been really successful on Etsy.com (they charge 40 cents per item listed for 3 months) Good luck!

Monson Family said...

Aly, good luck! I tried to do it multiple times and I found that it is really hard to do it and be profitable. (I did craft shows, and I made boutique outfits in CA) But I wish you best of luck and if anyone can put their mind to it- you can!! I'm actually wanting to start again in a few months (little girl summer dresses). Maybe we can pass tips to each other if we find success? Just FYI, if you go to some baby boutiques in IF or even Rexburg and ask them to shelve your items, they will do it for a small consignment fee. It's a certain percentage off of the total sale. Also, I get joann coupons via email, that always help when trying to mark up! Especially $1 patterns! Also, there is a fabulous fabric store in Rigby called 'the quilt shoppe'. I think the website is something like katicupcake.com. She has the latest and greatest!

Anonymous said...

Check out Etsy.com you can open a free web based store

Anonymous said...

Aly, you could also create a new blog just for your business. I know it's worked out for many of my friends. The great thing is, your friends that have this current blog address will quickly learn your 'business' one and the word will be spread through cyber space.

Theron & Melissa said...

Ali, ALWAYS do what you want to do and never let anyone talk you out of anything you like because they think it would be impractical. I'm not saying anyone here is doing that just some advice. And this is just like what Amy is saying I checked another one of my friends' blogs just after yours and found this site on her's http://www.amiamoronline.com/
It's another woman who loves to sew and crochet and has it for sale online. That is probably the best way to start, just part time and whenever you can. After that when you have lots of customers you can quit whatever else you have to do and just focus on that. I think it's a great idea! If I could sew I would totally do it :)

Nataly said...

GREAT IDEA!! I think it would be perfect for you. :)
I want you to do my baby's stuff too (when I have babies haha). And you could teach me too!!! Please??
Love Love Love.